Seashorses

I started woodcarving classes in October 2012 with a view of doing something different and I find it very therapeutic albeit there are times I'm not able to do much as I still have wrist problems and find it difficult to hold the tools.  I decided to carve a seahorse and the tutor decided it should be two seahorses with seashells.  Unfortunately, Mike (the tutor) died last February but Arthur stepped in and took the class over so the carving is finally finished.  The classes run between October and March each year and below are some photos showing it at different stages.

The wood used is lime which is nice and soft to carve.  Seahorse number one (top left) was mainly carved by Mike and I was working on the top right seashell when he died:
Seahorse number two is away to be carved and have some scales - he lost some soon after!
Last week, the carving was oiled with lemon oil and was taken off the MDF backing board - this is the before and after:
It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I noticed that seahorse number one has a definite grumpy look about him!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Update

Weekend fun - part 1